Monday, November 21, 2005

A Decided Lack of Diligence

Well, this is possibly the longest break between posts I've allowed since this blog's inception (I'm too lazy to check), not to mention that the previous post was pretty lacklustre. Before starting work, I had planned to update on the weekends, but a week of work quickly reminded me how precious free time is, so I instead decided that I'd update during my lunch hour once or twice a week. The problem is that my longer posts generally take more than an hour to write, and I have other things that I occasionally like to do during my lunch break. Like eating lunch, for instance. So, I'm not sure where that leaves me. I suspect that I'll just have to get used to being a little less verbose, and a little better at resisting the lure of websudoku during my breaks.

However, I do have one other problem, and that's finding topics to write about. I've yet to really encounter writer's block, but I've noticed that since I started working I'm having more trouble with it. Which is funny, since up until now I spent most days without even leaving the house, which one would think would limit potential topics. Unfortunately, though, it also severely cuts down on my video game time, and, as some of you may have noticed, I like to talk about video games on occasion. :-) I could of course talk about work, but after reading through reams of HR propaganda cautioning against posting privileged information and/or slander using government systems, I'm not particularly inclined to take the chance that I might say something that I shouldn't.

In any case, I've got some time to think about it, as I doubt I'll be doing much posting over the next couple of weeks, since my body's still getting used to getting up in the morning, and I got less than 4 hours of sleep every night last week save Friday because I just can't seem to convince myself to go to sleep at a decent hour. Hopefully all the fatigue will help fuel a particularly bitter rant. Until then.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the exact opposite. I found myself sucked into a vortex of unproductivity this summer, and as a result I didn't write diddly. If I'm not doing anything of substance, I'm not doing anything worth writing about.

A subtler point is that with no responsibilities, I have nothing to put off by writing blog posts. In fact, the only thing vaguely in the arena of "stuff I should do" is to write those posts, and so I put those off by doing other things.

School has occupied my time to the point where, in moments of desperation to delay having to do real work, I can fill that time by writing blog posts. I also find more topics of substance pop into my head while doing something more interesting than killing monsters in some game.

Of course my update frequency is still as spotty as ever, but I'd like to think I've had more interesting things to say since school started.

Also re: government paranoia. There's nothing stopping you from typing up your posts during breaks at work, then sending the content via some sort of information transfer medium to your home computer, and posting it from there. That way, you are not using the government's computers to spread your treasonous calls for uprisings.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 1:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home