Wednesday, November 09, 2005

How Long Until Retirement?

My regularly scheduled post was supposed to be yesterday, but they kept me pretty busy here through the day, and after I got home I was tired (thanks to 3 or so hours of sleep the night before) and I fell asleep on the couch while reading through reams of HR material. By the time I woke up, my TV shows had started, and my entire television schedule is pretty much concentrated on Monday and Tuesday these days (everyone should be watching Arrested Development [which was hilarious this week], My Name Is Earl, The Office, and Boston Legal), so I was busy the rest of the night (I intended to try and go to bed a little earlier last night, but it turned into 2AM. I suck.). It's a good thing that my first week is only 3 days-- the lack of sleep should nicely serve to turn me around to a normal sleep schedule for next week (or as normal as I ever get, anyway). In any case, I may have to re-think my update schedule now that my life is busier and more organized (I'm thinking every Friday, or, failing that, every Tuesday and Friday).

As for the job itself, things seem pretty good so far. I have yet to do any actual work, since yesterday and the first half of today have been devoted to orientation and training (and it looks like the rest of today and all of tomorrow will be as well), but I think that I'm going to enjoy it here. That being said, I do have some issues. Although a food count downstairs might sound convenient, that place is a madhouse at lunch, and given my hatred of crowds I think that I'll be bringing my own lunch most of the time. I could walk elsewhere, but I really don't know downtown at all-- I'd probably be lucky to find my way back to King's Place. And the parking. Oh, the parking. See, I knew that I'd have to pay to park at the parking garage, but I didn't expect to pay out the ass. It cost me $12 on the day. That's highway robbery. It's like I'm working 1/2 hour less every day. For $12, I should be able to step out of my car and ride a conveyor belt directly to my desk. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do for the long term, but for today and tomorrow I'm catching a lift with my father on his way to and from work.

Anyway, my lunch break's over, so I'm going to cut this short. Later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

12$ is a lot

Wednesday, November 09, 2005 10:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned a parking pass, and another parking lot by the river. What are the prospects on those?

Thursday, November 10, 2005 8:54:00 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I mentioned a parking lot by the river? My parents and I were just talking about that last night, I thought. Was I talking to you last night?

Anyway, I haven't decided what I'm doing yet. I'll get the parking pass next week sometime, but I don't think I have it in me to show up at quarter to 8 in order to get a spot. I'm looking around for other free lots within 10 minutes walking distance. I might try parking at the new Sobey's, maybe? I'm still looking around.

P.S. The verification word for this comment was "jeloran". That sounds like a good name for a fantasy character, or a plausible name for a sci-fi race.

Thursday, November 10, 2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Darcy Cameron said...

What about the Tannery? Can you park there during the day? That's pretty close to King's Place, I think. I know downtown pretty well, but not the rules of business hours. I'm usually there in the evening, and just park wherever I want :-)

Thursday, November 10, 2005 5:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home