Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I Made it a Week

When I read a blog (or any page, for that matter), I generally check daily (if I visit with any less frequency, I have trouble remembering the page exists at all), and when there's not an update every few days, or when an update is short and/or lacklustre, I find myself disappointed. It has recently come to my attention that most people are not in fact me, and that the frequency and length of my posts are a little much to stomach. So, in the interests of not scaring people away, I've decided to make an effort to space out my updates a little, which is why this post comes one week after my previous post. The longest break I'd ever had before this was four days, which I used to feel was a bit much, but, again, I guess that's just me. This change brings with it both benefits and problems.

The first clear benefit is that, if I have nothing to say for a few days after a post, I needn't feel pressured to come up with something right away. Although I have had a bit of writer's block on occasion, anyone who knows me well knows that having nothing to say won't stop me from typing until my fingers are sore and bleeding (more on this colourful imagery in a moment). The second benefit is of course the time savings. I'd like to consider myself a competent writer, but in writing, as in most other things, I am very slow. Typically, one of my lengthier posts will take me roughly 2 hours to write, compared to the two minutes it takes to read. So, the savings of a couple of hours a week that I get from less frequent posting will be welcome, although, to be frank, if I was really looking to save time I'd just abandon this foolishness altogether.

Which brings me to the problems. The biggest problem is my memory. Generally, when I write one of these posts, it is because inspiration has struck or I have something that I really want to vent about. And, while I could (and do, sometimes) keep a list of post topics as they occur to me, the specifics will be long gone from my head by the time I get around to actually writing the post. Another alternative would be to write the post in its entirety when it occurs to me and then sit on it for a few days before posting. However, it feels so silly to keep it to myself when I'm already finished, and I suspect that if I got into this habit I'd quickly amass a backlog. The second problem is that I actually find it relaxing to ramble on at length, and I'll miss the more frequent stress release that my inconsistent flurries of posting activity provided.

In any case, as I said, people have expressed displeasure with the length of these posts as well, so I'm going to move on to the next topic.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could write longer passages, more frequently. I end up going too long though, and getting bored or running out of time, and then I promise to speak more on the subject later and then never bother to do so.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But isn't it your blog? I know that you don't want to completely scare people away but an extra couple of paragraphs doesn't make a few differences. Why don't you just pick a length that's comfortable for you? I like reading stuff that's in depth. But then I'm odd and spend too much time on the internet.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 9:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home