Friday, September 16, 2005

Nintendo, Please Stop Terrifying Me

Well, Nintendo has finally revealed their new controller for Revolution. Without further preamble (click on either image for a closer look):



So, um, yeah. There you have it. The top picture shows the standard interface, while the bottom picture shows it with one of what will supposedly be many possible attachments, with this specific attachment being meant to offer a more traditional console experience. What the standard controller essentially is is a TV remote/light gun. Nintendo wants non-gamers to be comfortable with the controller, so they shaped it like a TV controller and added the sensor on the front so that some games can be controlled with only one hand and by moving the controller around. Uses suggested by their promo video include playing fishing games by making realistic rod motions with the controller, or making Mario jump by waving the tip of the controller up.

Nintendo also claims that they want it to set the new standard for console FPS, using the analog attachment for head rotation, and the TV remote part for moving (the D-pad) and shooting (point and click). It certainly sounds better than what we have now, but only time will tell. It seems odd that they'd make a point of that at a Japanese press conference, since FPSs are very unpopular in Japan, but *shrug*.

It's wireless, clearly, and the system will support multiplayer with 4 of them, with that small bank of 4 blue lights at the bottom to indicate the communication channel that each is on. They will support force feedback, and, of course, they come in several different colours. The two buttons near the bottom of the controller would clearly be difficult to get your thumb on normally, but that's not what they're for. If you turn the controller sideways and abandon the sensor on the front, you essentially have a classic (albeit elongated) NES controller.

Nintendo did a very good job of keeping this thing under wraps. I've heard all kinds of rumours about the Revolution, with the most prevalent being interactive holography (asinine) and gyroscopic technology, and I've seeing lots of doctored photos. But nothing came close to this. Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Nintendo yet, it would seem, since they historically have trouble keeping the public in the dark.

I'd be lying if I said I was sold. Part of me is terrified that this will be the final nail in the Nintendo coffin (as a console manufacturer at least). But I had similar fears about the DS, and it's doing very well as of late, and it scared me more than this does. And either way, I'll be buying one. There's no use pretending otherwise-- it'll have Mario, it'll have Zelda, and so I'll have to buy it.

Anyone looking for more info/media can go here: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/09/15/news_6133335.html

10 Comments:

Blogger Requiem said...

I was talking to John about this and I'm not sure if I should post what I thought about (and called) those "controllers" on this web log but it involved "women" and only the Japanese could think up something like this.

Friday, September 16, 2005 4:52:00 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

You know, I think it says more about you than the Japanese. Because that thought probably hadn't occured to them (or me, for that matter), but did to you.

Friday, September 16, 2005 4:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know...I told myself that Nintendo was going to have to have a lot more going for it in order for me to buy one this time. I mean it's impressive and all, but I still need more assurance on amount of games. I need more than a couple of good games I tell you! Think Kingdom Hearts or Katamari Damashi. Work with me Nintendo, work with me. Although it is awfully shiny...

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:49:00 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I'm fairly pleased with the Gamecube library myself. What it lacks in quantity it makes up for in quality. I have more Gamecube games on my shelf than PS2 games, and a helluva lot more Gamecube games than XBox games. It's certainly a much better selection than the N64 had, or as I like to call it, "the RPG system that wasn't."

Saturday, September 17, 2005 4:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh.. your right about the N64.. I'm still waiting for Earthboung 64.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Don't forget about FFIV. Months before the N64 came out, there were pictures making the rounds from a tech demo featuring FFIII characters in full 3D. Then the Playstation happened.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 6:40:00 PM  
Blogger Requiem said...

I don't remember that about FFIV. If you know any places that have some shots of this game that never was, i'd like to see it.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 11:19:00 PM  
Blogger Requiem said...

I'm not the only one.
http://www.vgcats.com/
Read September 15's news article.

Sunday, September 18, 2005 11:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jordan said...

I don't know where you'd find those screens online, but I have them in an issue of Nintendo Power. That being said, I'm not looking for them, because it would take hours.

Monday, September 19, 2005 7:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That thing looks like it'll cause a lot of arm problems to serious gamers who opt to use it in the non-classic way.
Hi Kim!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005 6:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home