Friday, May 19, 2006

That's It-- I'm Done

I'll no longer be going to watch anime at the university on Saturday nights, after roughly seven solid years of regular attendance. With Stefan and Aiden now busy on Saturday nights, the prospect of ten weeks by myself eating crappy junk food in a room full of people that I hate, watching shows that run the gamut from mediocre to awful, is simply too much to bear. I've got a list of shows that we were watching, and I'll finish the ones that I liked on my own time. I probably should have stopped a long time ago, but there were three things that kept me going. First, I am a creature of habit, and a stubborn man. I don't like change, and I don't like to stop something once I've started, and anime has, for better or for worse, been a fixture in my life for quite some time. Second, anime night once served an essential purpose-- it was my new show filter, that I used to discover shows I'd never seen before, and there were a LOT of good shows that I'd never have watched were it not for anime. However, through the magic of the Inter-mo-tron, I feel much better equipped to find new shows myself these days, and no longer worry that some gem from the new season will escape my notice.

Finally, anime night used to be a whole lot of fun, and I think that some part of me still held out hope that it could be again. I used to look forward to it each and every week, going to watch shows with 1/2 dozen friends, and then doing other stuff with those same people afterwards, whether it be eating at the Diplomat, playing video games, or watching yet more anime. However, a lot has changed in seven years. I now have much more refined tastes, and whatever crap they elect to put up there for consideration is no longer good enough. And it's been a long time since I had regular crowd of 1/2 dozen people to go with, with most of the people who used to attend no longer living in this city. Also, the place is a wretched hive of scum and villainy these days, full of loud, inconsiderate, and above all creepy people who I hate with every fibre of my being. Where I and my friends used to be happy, we are now miserable, sequestering ourselves in a nearby stairwell to talk for much of the evening, emerging only on those rare occasions that a show of good quality is shown. This being the case, even if I did try to bring someone new along, it's kind of a tough sell.

So, I'm done. I no longer need to be embarrassed to admit what I do on Saturday nights, but now only need to be embarrassed that I'm doing nothing on Saturday nights. I'll no longer need to schedule other events around anime, and I'll now have another night to spend working through my video game backlog. Most importantly though, I'll never have to see any of those freaks ever again.

Aside: I had an awesome idea last week, and feel compelled to share it. I think that there should be a website called professor-or-homeless-person.com, where anyone can upload a picture of a professor or a transient, and visitors can guess as to which they are. I laugh just thinking about it. :-)

9 Comments:

Blogger Stefan Robak said...

Now this is what I've been saying all along. Though, not in so many words. I believe the words were "lets stop coming here." Any Jordan said no.

I'm just sayin' that it was my idea first.

Saturday, May 20, 2006 10:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About time.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I recommend replacing this viewing ritual with going out to the bars and drinking beer on Saturday night -oh, and viewing the hot women of Freddy Beach? There must be a wet t-shirt contest at one of the bars sometime this summer. GO GO GO. Don't wait until you are too old to ask these ladies out!

Carpe Diem, man! ("Don't Let the Fish Die")

Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:43:00 PM  
Blogger Stefan Robak said...

First of all, I have always found that things like wet t-shirt contests and strip clubs completely unsexy. The ambience, mood and I find the people as insufferable as otaku. The only difference it's a very different kind of annoying. And they stink of beer and the occassional BO, rather than just BO. And I would also never ask friends to share this unpleasant experience with me.

Now I'm not against clubbing (though I don't really do it myself), but wet T-shirt contests rather unstimulating. I like breasts, but just sitting or standing around and staring at them and talking about them quickly gets boring. Also the blaring music and background noise makes interesting conversation impossible. And I generally find that the women aren't worth "asking out" simply because they have rather uninteresting interests and personalities. I have nothing in common with these types, nor do I want to. I want a woman with wit, charm, sophistication and charisma. Also hot. And certainly my only option isn't to ask out a woman who likes giving out Mardi Gras specials.

I also don't like drinking simply because I don't like the taste (except for sweet tasting girly drinks) and I really don't like the idea of getting drunk (I like my lucidity). Tipsy is good, but after that it becomes to incoherent for real fun.

So frankly, what I really want to do is just have fun with friends and I just find it impossible to do so in a loud speaker/booze induced headache and deciding which set of tits I should ask out.

But that's just my opinion.

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Requiem said...

I'm going to agree with Stefan here, i hate the bar/club atmosphere, if i went to a bar or club id want a place like Cheers, where everyone knows your name, its not loud, and seems to have a lot of interesting people.

Friday, May 26, 2006 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Also the blaring music and background noise makes interesting conversation impossible. "

"And I generally find that the women aren't worth "asking out" simply because they have rather uninteresting interests and personalities."

Would the first not be attributed to the cause of the second?

"I want a woman with wit, charm, sophistication and charisma. Also hot." What, no modesty or niceness? Sounds like your perfect woman would tear out your heart and then eat it prettily.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Stefan Robak said...

Well, I am an easy target.

Modesty and niceness are good, but I met a lot of modest nice girls, but only a handful give me interesting conversation. I don't want her to be someone I necessarily agree with, but I want someone to entertain me as I can (hopefully) entertain her.

Sides, I was talking about the girl I want, not the girl I "need".

Sunday, May 28, 2006 5:45:00 PM  
Blogger Darcy Cameron said...

Fools! Of course bars are loud, obnoxious, and annoying. That's why you're not supposed to go there until you're already drunk. Bars are the last stop on the road to a hangover. If you're looking for a place like Cheers, I suggest the Lunar Rogue. I love that place.

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to go out, but I don't do it to get drunk. I do it to see my friends and to see bands. Saturday night at the capital there will pretty much always be a band and the people are friendly. Yes, some of them reek of beer... or other things, but they're some of the nicest people I've ever met. And you can meet girls at these places, I met my girlfriend at the Cellar during a show almost a year and a half ago.

It was a great show too.

You don't have to drink when you're out. I have one or two but I don't really drink anymore at shows... it's cheaper to drink at home. I just get a picture of water, move up front, and enjoy the live music.

It's not about booze or tits or whores or clubbin' or any of that obnoxious crap. It's about having fun with good people and listening to good music.

I understand that for Jordan this is out. You could spend your Saturday hiking... or biking... going to the market... reading a book.

These are just some suggestions

Monday, May 29, 2006 2:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home